On the 12th Day of Christmas...




















I have the luxury of not returning to an office today but the feeling is there all the same.  I decided to take one more day off, it's what I would do when I did work in an office. It is The Epiphany and I usually reflect on the holidays, enjoy the tree one last night and all else that is left. It's not the day to take down the tree or start the daily grind of a new year. It's a personal tradition.

When we went to collect the mail this afternoon, August wanted Christmas cards. I told her there wouldn't be anymore until next year. We will get packages but not Christmas gifts until next year, although, The Three Wise Men may leave a little something in her shoes under the tree tonight. I need to celebrate the Twelve Days of Christmas, it's a a good "calm down" from the weeks of anticipation, preparation and excitement. I loved our tree this year. Thank you, Mr. Douglas Fir for staying green and fragrant for almost six weeks. 

I usually celebrate with a Rosca de Reyes but couldn't find one I liked. One year I mailed away for one because I felt I just couldn't celebrate without one. Tonight, it's just fine to share a hot chocolate with August and have gingersnaps instead.  I was too successful with the baking this year and to attempt a rosca today could ruin my lucky streak.





























It was a great holiday, down to the last gingerbread moose cookie. August made it special and surprising, especially on New Year's Eve when a tiny party of three felt like quite the event. Her awareness and enthusiasm, the things we were able to do: breakfast with Santa on St Nicholas Day, Advent organ concerts every Tuesday, crafts, looking at lights, the baking, friends who came to visit, people we got to see... it all made this my best Christmas so far. I want it to last as well but it's time to read The Little Fir Tree by Margaret Wise Brown and Christmas Every Day by William Dean Howells and put this Christmas in our memory boxes, but tomorrow, because there is still one more night.





































































































2 Comments:

Blogger nadine paduart said...

great moments, he. for the family album!! ♥♥♥

Tuesday, January 06, 2015  
Anonymous Kristin said...

This looks like lovely holidays.

Sunday, January 18, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home