Corner View: Poem

Fifteen years ago I threw away a journal  that contained several attempts at poetry. In it were poems that to this day still make me cringe. Horrid. In high school I wrote a sonnet, it was a homework project. I was so pleased with my sonnet. I was proud. I wrote it on a piece of paper with burned edges, we got extra credit for presentation. I read it in front of the class, we got extra credit for that too. All I remember was: baptized in fire [or fear] with a love for calamity... I wish I had it just to throw it away again.

My mother's college yearbooks had several poems in it that I have always loved.  When I have visited I seek out those year books just to read those poems. It was 1968 or 1969 and the poet used wordsthatranintoeachother {much use of these braces} and lots of 


                                 playing
                                                  with
                                                   the
spacearound{words}

I still remain impressed with those poems. They had a speed, a poem within a poem, they were clever and very much of their time.

5 Comments:

Blogger nadine paduart said...

you learnt me about Marina Tsvetaeva's poems, for which i'm grateful to the day. i'm sure your cringing is partly 'self-inflicted', for poetry comes in sizes ans styles, i am convinced your efforts aren't half as bad as you proclaim. judging ourselves is about the hardest thing to do. and aren't we sometimes hard on ourselves?
and can i say, your fiction often reads dreamy like a poem, it does!
n♥

Wednesday, February 04, 2015  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tera, yes I remember year books like that too. Don´t have them anymore though. Can´t remember having written a poem ever :)

Wednesday, February 04, 2015  
Blogger Le monde dÖ said...

Poetry is everywhere... We don't have yearbooks here, so, I'ld like to discover the one you read...

Friday, February 06, 2015  
Blogger Francesca said...

i believe that writing a poem on paper with burned edges is some kind of rite of passage - fortunately, we only need to do it once in our life! :)

Monday, February 09, 2015  
Blogger shayndel said...

Iloveyourpoemsthatyou rememberandtheonesyoudon`t!!

Wednesday, February 11, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home