Corner View: Overgrown

My hair is not straight, it has a tough wave and almost a full curl to it. It is thick and high maintenance. I have always hated it. I have never been good to my hair. I love how ringlets and bountiful tendrils look on someone else. I have never been able to work well with my own coiled coiffure, further complicated with two unfortunate cowlicks. I am tired of braids and buns and tangled tresses.

Maybe, I was happiest with shorter hair? I grew out my hair for a man who claimed to love long hair on women. Long, luscious, straight hair, that is...not what I ever had going on. Even when a compliment was requested, all I received was a general, "I like long hair". I never felt the love. After years of over growing my hair, now just a bad habit, I have decided to really try hard to find a style that fits the texture. It takes talent to make a mane like mine look magnificent. So I am fearlessly seeking out someone skilled with scissors to do the sublime. Lately, I feel everything has just gone on too long.

11 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Mine is, too. As crazy as it may sound, an old fashioned sit under hair dryer with a little (very little) coconut oil on the ends really smooths it out.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015  
Blogger shayndel said...

Wow, your writing about your hair is so expressive and wonderful. So I think your hair too is passionate and full of life. I feel your hair is wanting you to tell her (your hair) how much you love her, and then once you get a cut it will all fall beautifully into place:))
(hope I am not meddling between you and your hair, but I felt she wanted me to give you that message:))

Thursday, July 23, 2015  
Blogger Francesca said...

The good thing about hair is that it grows again, so have it cut! I prefer my hair short, but because it's dead straight it requires less maintenance and fewer trips to the hair dresser as long - so, I wear it long (though now that it's quite gray I wonder whether it just looks witchy ... oh, I'll have to post my hair-troubles one day and ask for public advice:))

Thursday, July 23, 2015  
Blogger Tera said...

I need to use more coconut oil, that is for sure.

Thursday, July 23, 2015  
Blogger Tera said...

Thank you JGY! I do need to show my hair way more love!!!!

Thursday, July 23, 2015  
Blogger Holly said...

Hope you post the new doo. My son has four cowlicks and can only have decent hair shaved.

Friday, July 24, 2015  
Blogger Tera said...

WOW! Four is a lot. It is said my great-grandfather had seven! I can't imagine ehst that looked like and no one in the family has yet to show up with that lil piece of DNA.

Sunday, July 26, 2015  
Blogger likeschocolate said...

I had 4 inches cut off mine and it felt so good. I have similar and spend an hour making it straight.

Friday, July 31, 2015  
Blogger nadine paduart said...

i'd have it cut ever so short and see what happens. fran says it, it'll grow back!

a tiny bit of advice (scooped from my own experience). warn your nearests and dearests... they may not recognize you without foreword.. n♥

Saturday, August 01, 2015  
Blogger missadie said...

I love your writing. I love that there is more writing than photos. I am a fan, thanks for commenting on a postpartum post I wrote a while ago... I will be checking in here now. I stopped writing on my blog more than a year ago, but your writings inspire.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015  
Blogger Tera said...

Thank you so much! I am looking forward to your blog updates!!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home