Corner View: Routine

Here is a  checklist I use on routine walks:

Look for birds of prey in the sky 
Search for butterflies or dragonflies
Listen when the breeze is trying to speak using the trees and windchimes
Listen for bird songs or woodpeckers knocking
Smell the air, try to find roses, lavender and sage
See squirrels acting squirrely or having a snack
Visit the biggest tree look for a fig tree
Look at the clouds

August loves looking at the clouds and pointing out what she sees in them. I guess it was on walks in Woodville that I developed this mental checklist. Letting the natural world draw me in is something I look forward to on our walks.

Visits to the community gardens are something else we just have to do. I feel fortunate to have access to the one in our neighborhood. It's important for August to see vegetables growing. So many questions begin there. We observe bees and butterflies, she visits hens and roosters, collects rocks and scents from the many flowers and herbs there. She made me laugh the other day going from plant to plant sniffing them.

The desire for a more natural environment is returning to me. I crave more trees, gardens, space, roosters crowing and lots of good dirt. I have faith that one day we will find the perfect spot, a balance. I still love this city.

8 Comments:

Blogger shayndel said...

Oh, she is so precious! Children and gardens are just perfect together. Your words are full of life and you take a `routine` into a wonderful new adventure each time. You answered my question, of how do we take something we do everyday and fill it with love!!

PS I am excited that you are inspired to make bentos for August! She will love it and your creativity (and the nourishment you put into it from your garden!) will overflow.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015  
Blogger Heather said...

Great ideas for appreciating nature! I love "sniffing" through my walks. Whatever's in bloom - sometimes it's orange blossoms, sometime jasmine... at the moment it's gardenia.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015  
Blogger Kari said...

we see a whole lot more when we go about our routines with 'intention'. Nice that you have a list - a mental reminder of sorts.

Keep enjoying your walk - lovely time for it!

Thursday, July 09, 2015  
Blogger Le monde dÖ said...

Beautiful! No doubt you'll find find the perfect spot!

Thursday, July 09, 2015  
Blogger Holly said...

I love the nature walk check list. Keep dreaming about that place and space you want next and one day it will present itself out of the blue.

Thursday, July 09, 2015  
Blogger likeschocolate said...

She will have a love of nature for the rest of her life if you teach her from when she is little.

Thursday, July 09, 2015  
Blogger Francesca said...

you seem already to have found that balance where you live, Tera!

Friday, July 10, 2015  
Blogger Tera said...

Thank you all!!! Going to visit tomorrow!

Saturday, July 11, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home